Skip to content

Day 38 – The house takes shape

July 28, 2010

July 27, 2010 – A considerable amount of progress has been made, if you consider that only a week and a half ago it was concrete and a dirt pit. Of course, that concrete and dirt pit is still there, only now made more useful (and hidden, too).

We really appreciate the layout we chose for the addition because it blends in nicely with the existing house and landscape. All of this is starting to become apparent. The window placement has so far been a good choice as well, largely behind plants, and otherwise with some good views of the neighborhood.

The construction continues to be a source of amusement to the car and foot traffic in our neighborhood, with lots of people slowing down and stopping to check it out. I think we might be the only big remodel project within several blocks – if not further – not like the Irvington neighborhood which seems to make large scale remodels a requirement on every block. The mailman stopped by as he was delivering mail today and commented on the addition, saying that the added space would be good for our family, so even the mailman notices!

Largely due to a combination of vague generalities in the design by our designer, our inexperience in large-scale building and some oversights on both our parts, there are some points with the building which we need to resolve or just adapt our planning to accommodate:

  1. Door: The bathroom door on the first floor is set to open incorrectly. This the builder will fix.
  2. Dormer: We had assumed – and reviewed in some CAD drawings – that the roof of the addition would consume, essentially doing away with, the old dormer that it nearly covers. It seems as though this was never quite spelled out in the blueprints and engineering, even though our designer saw the same CAD models we did. Right now, the old dormer will still be visible from the back of the house as our new roof dies into it. It’s structurally sound, just kinda ugly. To remedy this, it will take some more plans, engineering and another trip to the city for approval. All this is money.
  3. Upstairs roof joists: From what the builder has said, typically in our type of addition what the engineer/designer will spell out are some beefy joists that meet up flush with the walls. It’s hard to describe, so check out the picture. In our design, what we have are some pony walls, in one case right next to the existing exterior wall, which help support the roof. This is all fine, except that these pony walls are load bearing and reduce the amount of usable space. This reduces the amount of floor space in out upstairs bathroom as well as bed area, meaning we can likely not fit a 5′ clawfoot tub upstairs, or have flexibility in our bed placement in the completed room. This is not something that can be easily corrected.

From → Framing

One Comment
  1. RDaniels permalink

    The addition looks HUGE! I didn’t appreciate just how much more room you will have when I was looking at the pictures at the beginning of this blog (or even standing on your porch and looking at the initial “pit”). Wow! No wonder they needed to pour concrete to support this addition 🙂

    Thank you for all of your vivid descriptions of your trials and triumphs along the way. Great “food for thought” for those of us who have never attempted anything like this but might tempted to some day. Can’t wait to see what it will look like when you are done (I am sure you feel the same!).

    Kali dynamis! Good strength!

Leave a Reply to RDaniels Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s