Skip to content

Day 292 – Siding, window and rainscreens – oh my!

April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011 – A lot of progress this weekend. some highlights:

  1. Completed siding “upper north” section.

    Upper north

    This section is the odd shaped piece that exists where the back roof switches from a normal roof pitch to it’s shed dormer pitch. It’s on the north side, but separated from the other north wall. It’s only a handful of shingles, but the majority are cut at both ends to two different odd angles. The angles are consistent, but it was tricky getting the sizing right. And the funny thing is, because you’re working on a pitched roof and siding a differently pitched section of wall, nothing is level. Even when the siding was leveled, it looked off. It was like a fun house, only two stories up and not so fun. Okay, so more like just a “house” then…

    Window! Ain't she pretty....

  2. Completed front first floor bedroom window. This is the last window on the first level to be sided, and also the last of the first bedroom, but that goes without saying I suppose. We purchased some of the primed fir boards (5.5″ wide) on a Home Depot trip awhile ago, which I used on this window. Also, I used up the last of the decorative trim. We’ll need to contact our contractor to find where we can get some more of that. After this, we have two windows on the back second story to complete, and one window on the front (second floor, old house section – the current girl’s room window) that is missing trim after I rebuilt it last summer.
  3. Installed rainscreen on front of house.

    Is it wood? Is it a screen? No it's a rainscreen...

    For an explanation of what a rainscreen is, click here. We aren’t using it as a rainscreen, but it technically is, just not a very long one. Really, we are employing the rainscreen concept to bridge the difference in depth between the new addition and our old house. On the first floor, our old house sits approximately 1/2 inch out from the new house. On the second story, we have the opposite occurring, where our old house sits back approximately 1/2 inch from the new addition. Part of this just the way it is, and part of it is because we removed the siding on the top half of the house (shingle) and kept it below (lap siding). This isn’t a big deal on the second story because the union between the two houses is so narrow,with most of it occurring below. The first story is a bit more obvious. What we did is, taking a straight edge, first figure the distance it takes for that straight edge to bridge the gap and “meet” the new addition when it is spanned across the two. Then, figure how many wall studs that is, in our case five studs. Taking a two inch wide strip of pressure treated plywood, we ripped that in equal depths  – at 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16. These were then nailed to the studs to help ease the transition between the two houses, so you won’t see a bump. And, to make it secure, we installed screening at the top and bottom of our rainscreening to keep the bugs out of the wall cavity.

We kept busy,  but in addition to the above, we also marked the studs on the front of the addition to aid when we put up the siding; installed a kick-out strip for the first run of siding on the front (some of the leftover pressure treated wood); and cleaned up the porch of all the leftover wood and debris from the past few months. Also, we managed to give some of the scraps we had leftover away on Craigslist so we weren’t sending stuff to the landfill.

The weather is warming up, so stay tuned for some more siding updates!

Advertisements

From → Outside, Siding

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s